Medicaid provides health coverage to eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, seniors, and people with disabilities. Medicaid pays for doctor visits, yearly check-ups, emergency care, mental health services, and more. There is no monthly fee and copays are never more than $4.
Beginning December 1, more people in North Carolina will be eligible for health care coverage through Medicaid. Current recipients will still be eligible for health care coverage under the new Medicaid expansion. You are eligible for Medicaid if you meet the criteria below:
- You live in NC
- You are a US citizen (Some non-U.S. citizens can get health care coverage through Medicaid. To learn more, go to medicaid.ncdhhs.gov)
- Age 19-64
- Your annual household income fits within the chart below:
|HOUSEHOLD SIZE||ANNUAL INCOME (before taxes)|
$1,676 per month or less
|Family of 2|
$2,267 per month or less
|Family of 3|
$2,859 per month or less
|Family of 4|
$3,450 per month or less
|For each additional person in your household|
add $591 per month
add $7,094 annually
Prepare the following documents below for each person applying to help complete your application:
- Full legal name
- Date of birth
- Social Security number (or immigration documents)
- North Carolina residency
- Income information (from paystubs, W-2 forms, tax returns or business records)
North Carolina uses external resources to verify the information you provide. If more information is needed, you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department of Social Services requesting additional documentation.
You can apply for Medicaid:
- Online at epass.nc.gov
- Over the phone by calling 910-798-3500, select option 4 when prompted
- By paper application (English and Spanish) and returned to:
- Mailing address: 1650 Greenfield Street, Wilmington, NC 28401
- Fax number: 910-798-7824
- In person at 1650 Greenfield Street, Wilmington, NC 28401
If you are pregnant and/or have a child/children age(s) 5 and under, you may be eligible for Women Infants and Children (WIC) services by calling 910-798-3500, select option 5 when prompted.
Applications may be mailed upon request. Applications and supporting documents can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as needed.
New Hanover County Health and Human Services will hold mobile outreach visits in the community to help individuals and families connect with financial assistance programs like Medicaid and SNAP. Assistance is available for first-time applicants only and is not intended for individuals currently receiving benefits or who may need recertification.
For December, these outreach sites will take place at the following community locations:
- Tuesday, December 5, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: YWCA (2815 College Rd, Wilmington)
- Wednesday, December 6, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Nir Family YMCA (2710 Market Street, Wilmington)
- Thursday, December 7, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: New Hanover County Main Library (201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington)
- Saturday, December 9, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: New Hanover County Pleasure Island Library (1401 N Lake Park Blvd #72, Carolina Beach)
- Tuesday, December 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: YWCA (2815 College Rd, Wilmington)
- Wednesday, December 13, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Nir Family YMCA (2710 Market Street, Wilmington)
- Thursday, December 14, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: New Hanover County Main Library (201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington)
- Saturday, December 16, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: New Hanover County Northeast Library (1241 Military Cutoff Rd, Wilmington)
- Tuesday, December 19, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: YWCA (2815 College Rd, Wilmington)
- Wednesday, December 20, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Nir Family YMCA (2710 Market Street, Wilmington)
- Thursday, December 21, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: New Hanover County Main Library (201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington)
Long Term Care Assistance
Special Assistance in a Licensed Assisted Living Facility or In-Home:
- Requires Face-to-Face interview
- Appointments are not required, however, are available by calling 910-798-3500, option 4
Medicaid recipients may be eligible for transportation to a Medicaid provider for authorized services.
- A three-day advance notice is required for in-county trips and a five-day notice is required for out-of-county trips.
- Out-of-county trips must be verified by a physician as necessary.
- For more information contact transportation by calling 910-798-3500, option 7.